Tuesday, August 27, 2013

School, how I love thee... let me count the ways

So school has started again... yea!! And for all of you moms out there who are like oh my poor babies are in school and I'm so sad, I want it to be summer all year long. I'm sorry, I'm not one of them ;). Don't get me wrong, summer was great, we had fun. Not to mention, see this face. I know right, she's adorable!
That doesn't mean however, that I don't understand the importance of her being with other adults, children her own age, and not me, all. day. long. This one especially, has a brain, that does not quit. And I admit, at home with her other siblings, I cannot fulfill those constant mental needs, which definitely affects my mental needs. Plus, I'm pretty sure she is smarter than me already and I'm doing a lot of research to answer most of her "questions". So number one on my count the ways, yea to her teacher, have fun with that ;).

It's also no secret that I raise some pretty independent women, which is completely shocking, I know.  This one, wouldn't even let me walk her into first grade. Bye mom, have a good day, don't cry, I'll be fine. I'm not crying, nope, I don't know what you are talking about, those are happy tears.  So that opinionated, independent spirit (also known as my Karma), yep, count the ways number two!

Then there's thing 2, starts PreK and I'll admit, being my little man, a bit more attached to this one not wanting to say goodbye. Running into class, like peace out, but have you seen all the women he is surrounded by? I'd be running too!! Reason number three, needs to be surrounded by other little boys.

In addition to being surrounded by girls, this one is more sensitive then both of my girls put together. See this face, it was followed by a tantrum because he didn't want to "smile" for anymore pictures. I took 3 people, 3 pictures! Not 300. I think it will be good for other adults to endure his crying phases... as in general, I have just started joining in and crying with him and I don't think that's very healthy. Reason number 4.
I know there are many more reasons, such as a good education, more structure (although if you ask others I'm a nut about structure, sooo), not to mention an objective perspective from teachers who aren't emotionally attached to your child's behavior, etc. 
But even with all those other reasons, sending your kids off to school is always a cross emotional period. You, okay or I, feel guilty, like I should want to be around them 24 hours a day. However, the truth is, I love my kids enough to know, being home with me all day, for the rest of their educational life, (because we have an out at 18 rule) will not produce healthy human beings. It also allows me to be extra grateful to the teachers who have my children, as I have been that teacher. So extra Starbucks and supplies all around!
So I guess the next thing I will be pondering is how to sneak this "Thing" into school early. Hmmmmm.... any takers ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment